There are 7 girls so there are 7 x 2 legs = 14 legs
Each girl has 7 backpacks. So there are 7 x 7 = 49 backpacks.
Each backpack has 7 big cats so 49 x 7 = 343 big cats.
343 big cats x 4 legs = 1,372 legs
Each of the 343 big cats has 7 kittens so 343 x 7 = 2,401 kittens.
2,401 kittens x 4 legs = 9,604 legs
TOTAL NUMBER OF LEGS = 10,990 legs
Riddle of the 68 camels
Mathematically, and on the surface, there is no way one can divide the 68 camels in the way the father wanted. What the lawyer did was to "lend" 4 of his own camels to the 68 making 72 camels in all. Now half of this is 36, one-third is 24 and one-ninth is 8 making a total of the father's 68 camels. So he gave 36 of these to the eldest, 24 to the second and 8 to the youngest. He then takes his 4 camels back home with him! The sons won't complain neither for each of them would have got more than what he was really entitled to!
I have since come across another such puzzle. Here it is not 68 camels but 17 camels that have to be divided in the same proportions as above. You should be able to solve this easily now.
And with the same logic you'll be able to resolve Ali Baba's enigma of dividing his 39 camels among four sons so that the eldest got half, the second a quarter, the third an eighth and the youngest a 10th. In this story it was not a lawyer but a stranger who came riding along on his camel that helped them solve their problem before riding off and leaving them completely stunned.
Hey, there is a mathematical explanation behind all this. But I'll leave this to your maths teacher!
3 men in a motel (the missing dollar)
This brainteaser is an example of a false problem. You cannot add the 27$ to the 2$ as the 2$ that is now with the bellboy is actually part of the 27$ they finally paid for the room!
So there is no question of 1$ being "missing"!
In fact you have to add the 27$ to the 3$ that the men got back. Although the 3 men paid 27$ they didn't give that money to the hotelkeeper. The fact is that the 2$ extra that they paid is with the bellboy.
So the original 30$ is distributed as follows:
hotelkeeper 25$, bellboy 2$, 3 men 3$.
Beware of ostensible reasoning!
Riddle of the 4 persons crossing a lake
A Nigerian village woman (the 1st person) with her child (the 2nd person) at her back and her healthy twins (the last two persons) inside her womb!
Names are not what they claim to be!
1) How long did the Hundred Years War last?
- 116 years
2) Which country makes Panama hats?
3) From which animal do we get catgut?
- Sheep or horses
4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October Revolution?
5) What is a camel's hair brush made of?
- Squirrel fur
6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific is named after what animal?
7) What was King George VI's first name?
8) What color is a purple finch?
9) What is the color of the black box in a commercial airplane?
Answers to the 12 brain-teasers
1. Since half of the 97% wear two earrings and the other half don't wear a single earring it is as if every single one of them wears one earring. And since the other 3% of the women really wear one earring each the total number of earrings is 800.
2. Since there were only two barbers they must have cut each other's hair. The second must have his hair cut by the first!
3. He had already put sugar in his coffee before he noticed the fly!
4. They are triplets.
5. There were only three persons at the table comprising a grandfather, his son and his grandson.
6. Mount Everest, of course. It was always there!
7. In a dictionary.
9. A leaf.
10. Put yourself back to back of each other.
11. An echo.
12. He was in a merry-go-round.
Parent site: The World At Your Fingertips
If you find this site interesting or useful, do share it with your friends!