October 28 , 2002

Foreign Women Can Stay After Death
Of Malaysian Husband

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 28 (Bernama) -- Foreign women who are married to Malaysians can still apply for social visit passes to stay in the country even after the death of their respective husbands.

Deputy Home Minister Datuk Chor Chee Heung said these women can apply for permanent resident's (PR) status after five years of their stay in the country.

"If they can prove that after their marriage, they have children who live in Malaysia, their marriage is still considered valid despite the deaths of their husbands," he said to a question from Fong Kui Lun (DAP-Bukit Bintang) at the Dewan Rakyat here Monday.

However the government would not issue yearly social visit passes to women from China, Vietnam and Laos who married Malaysian nationals, he said.

To a question from Tan Sri Hew See Tong (BN-Kampar), Chor said for this year alone, 25 Malaysians who married foreigners abroad had returned to the country.