Kuala Lumpur, July 25 (VNA) - Malaysia is monitoring closely any developments in Hong Kong where 12 people have reportedly been admitted to hospital for suspected Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
Health Minister Chua Jui Meng said on Friday that the ministry was waiting for official reports by Hong Kong health authorities on the issue before making any decisions on whether to take new preventive measures.
"Before this, the World Health Organisation (WHO) had warned of the possibility of SARS resurgence," he told reporters after opening the Traditional Medicine and Health Expo 2003.
However, the Hong Kong authorities were quick to dispel the news report, saying that test results showed that none of the patients were SARS positive. Chua said that until now WHO had yet to lift the global alert on SARS.
However, the minister was confident that the country's public and medical services would be prepared to deal with any SARS resurgence as they had been issued with guidelines to combat the disease. -Enditem