LATEST (from Malay Mail of Sun, 21 Dec 2003): Kuala Lumpur: "He is a violent person who should be jailed for a long time so he won't pose a danger to the public." So said Sessions Court Judge Akhtar Tahir yesterday when he sentenced Thai national Sitthichai Palama to 17 years' jail and three strokes of the rotan for attempted murder and voluntarily causing hurt.
The accused grabbed headlines last month when he shot and wounded Red Crescent volunteer Tee Kim Lean with a revolver which he snatched from the holster of a policeman.
He was sentenced to 10 years' jail for attempted murder against constable Eruandy Saini, 22, and two years' jail and three strokes of the rotan for voluntarily causing hurt to Tee. Both sentences are to run consecutively.

Saturday November 29, 2003

Thai man remanded for 10 days

KUALA LUMPUR: The man who ran amok and injured a policeman and a female volunteer worker at the emergency ward of Kuala Lumpur Hospital has been remanded for 10 days.
The 30-year-old Thai national, who is from Chiengrai, was taken to court at 11am yesterday for the remand proceedings.
Magistrate M. Kunasundary issued the remand order for 10 days effective yesterday under Section 117 of the Criminal Procedure Code to assist police in their investigation.
On Thursday, the foreigner, who was sent to the hospital after he had slashed his own throat, was reported as to have snatched a pistol from a policeman and fired randomly.
A policeman injured his finger while the woman, a 23-year-old Malaysian Red Crescent Society volunteer, was shot in the chest.

Friday November 28, 2003

Two hurt as man goes berserk
and shoots randomly


Policemen overpower the suspect who went berserk. - Bernama picture
KUALA LUMPUR: There was havoc at the emergency ward of KL Hospital when a man ran amok and fired randomly from a pistol snatched from a policeman, injuring another policeman and a female volunteer worker.
The man, believed to be a Thai national in his 30s, was earlier sent to the hospital as he had hurt himself by using a knife to slit his throat.
The 6.30pm drama began when a woman sought help from two policemen on their crime prevention rounds near Fajar Supermarket in Sungai Besi here after a man held her husband hostage at knifepoint.
Dang Wangi OCPD Asst Comm Hadi Ho Abdullah said the police personnel persuaded the man to give up but he, instead, slashed his own throat and eventually fainted.
“The man was given first aid and was sent to the hospital in an ambulance from the Malaysian Red Crescent Society (MRCS).
“One of the policemen escorted him in the vehicle while the other followed them on his motorcycle.
“Upon arrival at the hospital's intensive care unit, the man regained consciousness when he was being treated by hospital assistants,'' he added.
The man, whose hands were cuffed in front, snatched a revolver from one of the policemen and fired four shots, sending dozens of people to run for cover.
ACP Hadi said the man then ran out of the hospital compound but was arrested at the Jalan Pahang roundabout by police after being chase for 100m.
A pistol was recovered from the man.
He said the policeman was injured in his finger while the woman, a 23-year-old MRCS volunteer, was shot in the chest.
Both of them are in stable condition.
It is learnt the injured lance corporal is based at the Dang Wangi district police headquarters.
ACP Hadi said they were investigating the case under Section 307 of the Penal Code for attempted murder, which carries a jail term of up to 20 years.
Eyewitness Ravindren Kaur, 34, who was visiting a friend at the hospital, said a man ran out from the emergency ward and grabbed her 10-year-old son Jagdish Singh's hand.
“Jagdish managed to free himself after a struggle.
“The man then ran towards a car and asked the driver to open the car door by knocking on its window but the driver refused,'' she said.
She added that the man ran off when he saw policemen chasing him.